Our mission is to increase student performance by improving the quality of teaching and learning.

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Maple Lawn, Take Two!

_______________

Another blast from the past.  I chose to visit the second school where I taught, Maple Lawn Elementary on Inwood Blvd. after lunch on the first day of school.  Maple Lawn’s facility has changed over the years to meet the needs of the changing community and student population.  I couldn’t believe it when Principal Adela Cox talked about the school’s four computer labs, tech savvy classrooms, and modern media canter.

 
We started our walk and visited many classrooms.  I was pleased to see Mrs. Martinez, one of my teacher neighbors from 17 years ago.  She now teaches Pre-kindergarten and is excited about a great year of learning and adventure ahead for her class.


In 4th grade, students were completing tally charts, surveying each other, and developing graphs.  Mrs. Kirklen knows the importance of focusing on math and science and is starting on day one.


Down the hall we heard some commotion, turned the corner, and stumbled onto a “Pete the Cat” celebration.  The lesson for the day was no matter what you step in, just keep on walking and singing your song because it’s ALL good.  What a lesson for the first day of school!







As I headed down the hall on my way back to the office I saw a poster left by a 2nd grade class for the new 2nd grade students this year.  The poster was developed to encourage and instill a sense of pride as Maple Lawn Elementary soars to become a TEA Recognized campus.

Maple Lawn… “On and on you will hike, and I know you’ll hike far, and face up to your challenges whatever they are.”

No comments:

Post a Comment